|Location:||Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia|
|Reporting to:||Director, Malaysia|
|Type of contract:||Annual contract with opportunity for renewal|
|Application closing date:||31st December 2022|
Wetlands International is a global not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the conservation and restoration of wetlands. Wetlands are areas where water is the primary factor controlling the environment and the associated plant and animal life. Despite our efforts to promote their importance, loss and damage to wetlands and their biodiversity continues. Our vision is a world where wetlands are treasured and nurtured for their beauty, the life they support and the resources they provide.
We are a science-based organisation producing tools and information to assist the development and implementation by government of relevant policies, conventions and treaties that are required to achieve wetland conservation. We are a source of “best-informed” opinion on key issues affecting wetlands and priority actions for their conservation and wise use, drawing on scientific analyses and our own experience in global and national conservation and natural resource management programmes. In doing this work, we are responsive to the needs expressed by governments, industry sectors, local communities and other stakeholders.
To support our work at the national level, Wetlands International is seeking a qualified Malaysian to fill in the Technical Officer position at our office. We are looking for a Malaysian with passion and commitment to nature conservation particularly in the field of wetlands such as mangroves, peatlands, constructed wetlands and freshwater wetlands.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the director, the Technical Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Execution and coordination of selected project activities implemented by Wetlands International.
- Preparation of quality project and programme reports for a range of different funders (public, private sector, government agencies).
- Assist in the development of new projects / initiatives that will contribute to Wetlands International’s Strategic Intent in relation to national priorities.
- Running collaborative processes (i.e.: periodic discussions, project coordination, consultancy agreement drafting etc) with internal and external stakeholders involved in the relevant projects to ensure quality of key outputs and timely delivery.
- Compilation of material and facilitation of training workshops in relation to project and wetland conservation programmes.
- Lead and participate in field assessments / surveys and compile relevant assessment reports as and when required.
- Strategic communication and liaison with govt agencies and relevant stakeholders in relation to project development and implementation.
- Representing the organisation in meetings, seminars and conferences (local and international) as directed by the head of office.
- Providing technical advice and input into other programmes related to the work of Wetlands International
- Supporting the communication with relevant internal and external contacts (i.e.: WI network offices, government agencies, public, target groups etc) in developing and contributing specific programmes.
- Performing other relevant duties and tasks in relation to this portfolio as directed by the head of office.
Candidates should possess the following:
- BSc. with relevant experience in the field of e.g., conservation biology, ecology, environmental science, forestry, marine sciences, botany, natural resource management etc. An MSc. with relevant discipline would be an added advantage.
- Knowledge related to wetlands and conservation.
- At least two years relevant working experience in conservation work.
- At least two years project coordination / management experience, including reporting and strategic communication with project donors.
- Experience of working with local communities in diverse cultural settings.
- Ability to develop and implement projects effectively.
- Ability to handle multi-tasking and to work effectively to meet deadlines without compromising quality.
- Consistently delivers works of a high standard of quality, precision and according to standards, procedures, rules, regulations and expectations.
- Proficiency with computer software applications (particularly Microsoft Office products).
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The successful candidate must be fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia. Fluency in other languages spoken in Malaysia would be an asset.
- Ability to travel (e.g. for field work, workshops and meetings/ conferences) and work independently.
- Possess a valid driving licence.
- A team player with positive work attitude, responsible, consistent, committed, result orientated, creative and hardworking.
Interested applicants are required to submit the following documents when making the application.
- A one-page cover note indicating why you think you are the best candidate for this job.
- An updated CV along with contact details (email, address and telephone number) of two people who we can contact for a reference check and your expected salary.
All applications should be made via email and submitted to [email protected] no later than 31st December 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.